Sunday, October 16, 2011

Live Music: James Vincent McMorrow at Leeds City Varieties


In the last couple of years my life has changed almost beyond recognition. Three years ago, almost to the day I embarked on the most terrifying chapter of my life to date. I packed up my life in Leeds, with less than four weeks notice, and moved to Limerick. I was following my dream of an academic career and I did what had to be done. I was offered a position, so I booked a ferry, packed up and fucked off. A year ago, almost to the day, I returned home to Leeds. I was having a break down in Limerick, I was terribly lonely, and I needed to get away. That said, I've come a long way in the last few years and my experiences in Limerick weren't all bad. I met some wonderful friends, I started the PhD I am now in the process of finishing and I think I know myself much better. I'm much more comfortable in my own skin.
Limerick was not only an academic education, it proved to be something of a musical education. I've always enjoyed Irish singer-songwriters, but I've never been close enough to the source to get on the train early...if you know what I mean! However, when I was in Limerick I spent vast amounts of time trawling the listings at Dolan's Warehouse for gigs and band names and new music. One of the true diamond's of that trawling was James Vincent McMorrow.

I first saw James play upstairs in Dolan's about two years go. There can't have been more than about 30 people there and James was very much a one man band. His nerves were obvious, there was very little banter, but his music spoke for itself. A beautiful, haunting, rendition of songs he had written and recorded himself locked away in a house in the outskirts of Dublin.

On Tuesday evening I was lucky enough to see what a difference two years make. Leeds City Varieties played host to James along with a full band. The City Varieties, like James and I, have come a long way in the last four years. The venue closed not long after I first came to Leeds for a full refurbishment. Dilapidated, run down and generally failing the City Varieties received Lottery Funding and along with an awful lot of fund raising they have managed to return the building to its former glory. One of the oldest surviving examples of a Victorian Music Hall the renovations have been done with great sympathy with the addition of a very modern box office Leeds has gained (or re-gained as the case may actually be) a wonderful addition to its live venues. Being greeted by enthusiastic box office staff and shown to our (extremely comfortable) seats in the stalls by an usher in a dinner jacket with a white carnation just added to the experience. Add to this the inclusion of a bar and a wonderful acoustic to the room and I'm sold.
Any how, I digress. I will talk about James' superb support act Lindi Ortega at a later date (she deserves a post all of her own, and I need to do my research) so I'll get on with the main event: James Vincent McMorrow. McMorrow appeared on the stage with an accompanying band and was utterly engaging from the off. The band, comprising of a bassist, a guitarist/banjo player, a mandolin player/pianist, a keyboard player and a drummer/percussionist gave McMorrow a confidence he lacked earlier. Time, acclimatisation and some back up obviously suits McMorrow as he proceeded to wind his way through a 14 track set including two cover songs and a comprehensive selection from his début album Early in The Morning. In addition to songs though, there was craic and a lack of the almost oppressive nervousness that so obviously plagued McMorrow the last time I saw him. The songs sounded so much more up beat with a band that the meaning of the album almost changed. The songs became less melancholic and more celebratory. It was truly awesome to see! McMorrow captured the audience and stunned them into silence. He talked about how Bono gets everywhere in Irish music, and about how you never make eye contact with Prince (who apparently used to employ a guy to catch his guituar in the 80s!)and seemed so relaxed on the stage. It seems that time and practice has made McMorrow confident but not cocky and although the songs on the album feel like they chenged on this tour, the change was certainly not detrimental.
In short if James Vincent McMorrow can sell out a US tour he should sell out a UK tour four times over. His music is beautiful, he plays in beautiful venues and this really is a name to watch.

Set List:
1) Sparrow And The Wolf
2) And If My Heart Should Somehow Stop
3) This Old Dark Machine
4) Hear the Noise
5) Breaking Hearts
6) Down the Burning Ropes
7) We Are Ghosts
8) Higher Love - Steve Linewood cover recorded for Headstrong and all proceeds donated.
9) Early in the Morning
10) Follow You Down To The Red Oak Tree
11) From the Woods!!
12) We Don't Eat
13) If I had a Boat
ENCORE:
14) Wicked Game - Chris Isaack's Cover. Truely beautiful.

No comments:

Post a Comment