Monday, August 15, 2011

Just a matter of time...

Photo: Elliott Morris by Chris Vaughan
I'm rubbish at playing the guitar, I don't like practising, and to be honest, learning things takes patience, something I am wholly without. However occasionally I come across something that will make me try to play until my fingers bleed. (Yes I have a blister on my little finger...Dire Straits reference go me!)
I was lucky enough to spend some time hanging around the BBC introducing stage in the Quarry tent at YNOT? festival last weekend and found a couple of gems, that pushed me to wanting to play to blister level.
Elliott Morris was one such gem. I was captivated when Morris took to the stage alone and proceeded to provide not only his own guitar music but by deft changes from playing the neck of the guitar, striking its body and stamping his feet Morris managed to provide the aural illusion that there was an entire band on stage. It really has to be seen to be believed. Seemingly long gone are the days of learning three chords and starting a band; Morris is joining a tradition of talented guitar-playing songwriters that precede him. Morris names the likes of Frank Turner and Andy Roach as influences, and the Newton Faulkner comparisons are almost too easy to make but what Morris brings to the party is a youthfulness and a raw talent that cannot be underestimated. He's the kind of musician that makes you go home, pick up your guitar and play until your fingers bleed.
Morris' songs are catchy, better live than on tape and he is totally worth checking out. May I recommend heading over to his MySpace (nope, not dead yet) page and checking out Man On Wire.


For now I think I'll stick to the three chords I know, keep trying to start a band and leave the good stuff up to the experts.

No comments:

Post a Comment