Monday, January 23, 2012

Things I'm excited about #1

New el-blog feature: Things I’m excited about.
I’m not sure something counts as a feature if you don’t do it with any level of regularity…and I’m not prepared to put a time scale on myself here. Lets be honest, I’m not good with deadlines.
Things I’m excited about will pretty much do what it says on the tin. It will tell you things I’m excited about. Mostly in a musical sense. However if I ever manage to buy a pair of shit kicker boots on ebay or eventually cave and get a cat then they might constitute something that I’m excited about and warrant a look in.
Anyhoo. This week’s thing I’m excited about is: drum roll please…Nat Baldwin. (Yes more American music, I’m sorry, I’m clearly feeling a bit under the weather at the moment!)
Coming to us all the way from Maine; one of those states where I fear that not much other than drinking coffee and being a bit artsy may happen, Nat Baldwin describes his music as experimental and minimalist. His music to my mind is ineffable. Initially it reminds me of Regina Spektor, it has an American collegiate drone to it created by the clever use of a double bass with a clearly improvised wood wind frill around the edges yet its darker that Regina Spektor, there’s no cynicism to it. The other Baldwin’s music is reminiscent of is early Interpol, a really stripped back, minimal sound done in a dark rock-y way not a folk-y way, in the slightest. It’s the kind of music I can imagine east coast college kids lapping up, with REM white label vinyl and original (not re-issued) Smiths records. Get me a beanie and a coffee, because I want in.
Weights by Nat Baldwin by western.vinyl
Nat Baldwin is playing a FREE gig tomorrow night at the Brudenell Social Club. I will be there with bells on. Let me know if you’re going!

No comments:

Post a Comment