Monday, June 13, 2011

She looked at him and he felt a spark...

Following last week's Roddy Woomble post I was sent a few links to things by a couple of promotions and management companies, asking me to have a listen, see if there is anything I liked. I spend a hideous amount of time scouting around the internet looking for things I like the sound of. And truth be told I've heard some fucking awful shit lately. I mean worse than the angst filled teenage crap I used to write when I was 14, fat, and nowhere near funny enough.
I blame "nu-folk", we weathered the "nu-metal" and the "nu-rave" storms, and now, in a world where everything has been done before, folk is apparently the next victim. There is a new vogue for pop songs, ballads, sung with an acoustic guitar under the banner of folk. And frankly most of it is bloody awful. However, one thing I was sent by a management company stood out last week.
Dan Wilde hailing from Blackpool (of all the gin-joints) is clearly well versed in his folk and blues heritage. There is a very Irish singer-song writer sound about his music, and love it or hate it, it works. His songs would not sound out of place with the likes of Damien Rice and although less ethereal than James Vincent McMorrow I can't help but feel that with time he will get there.
Go check out his website and have a listen on Spotify
but most of all make sure you check out his beautiful version of His Bobness' Simple Twist of Fate.

This version is taken from Younger Than That Now a collection of Bob Dylan songs covered by various artists in celebration of Dylan's 70th Birthday. It is magnificent.

No comments:

Post a Comment